When it comes to selling your used car you’ll be keen to get the best price for your car.
Part exchanging is always an option when buying a new car from a dealership – but you may end up settling for less than had you sold it privately.
When selling your used car privately, here are our top tips to ensure you get the best price for your car with some tips to maximise its appeal to new buyers.
5 Steps To Getting The Best Price For Your Car
Get A Price Estimate For Your Car
It is best to start by getting a realistic price for your car in today’s market – you can do this by requesting a valuation online. Always include as much detail as possible around the condition of the car as well as its age and mileage, as this will help you to correctly estimate the best price for your car.
Double check you are getting the best price for your car, by cross-referencing your valuation using websites and tools such as Auto Trader and eBay for private sale price indications, as well as We Buy Any Car for alternative instant buying valuations.
Deep Clean the Car
Before arranging viewings for potential buyers, giving your car a thoroughly deep clean will maximise its appeal and ensure you get the best price for your car.
A layer of crumbs, mud, or lingering smell will certainly put potential buyers off – so it is worth investing some time in a good clean or some money in a professional valet service or car detailer.
Here are some tips to DIY deep cleaning your car.
- Start by cleaning the outside of your car, before applying a layer of wax and polish to give your car an impressive shine.
- Declutter the inside of your car, collect all the rubbish and remember to check beneath seats, indoor compartments as well as the back of seat pockets for hidden trash.
- Deep clean your seats with car shampoo, as they are usually the culprit when your car is harbouring a bad smell or stain.
- Polish the interiors of your car and widows, before adding an air freshener to keep your car looking and smelling fresh.
Repair Any Damage
When cleaning your car you may have noticed some minor scratches, dents, or bumper damage to your car, which will all affect the after-sale value.
Here is what to look out for:
To get the best price for your car when selling it, it’s always best to get this type of damage repaired before selling. The process can be efficient and cost-effective and ensure you get the best price for your car.
ChipsAway offers a professional SMART repair service that is both high-quality and cost-effective for all minor body damage. Relying on a local expert such as ChipsAway can get your car looking as good as new in no time at all.
Prepare Your Paperwork
To get the best price for your car when selling it, make sure you have all of your car keys and paperwork in place. To recap, these include:
- Keys & spares
- Manufacturers manual
- Service book
Advertise across popular used car sites, such as Auto Trader, Craigslist, or Cars.com, but be prepared to pay a fee for listings. You could also use social media platforms such as Facebook Market Place to reach people in your local area, making viewings more popular and likely.
Here are some tips for taking great photos to put your car in the best light possible to help get the best price for your car.
- Take photos of your car in the best light of the day, as well-lit natural light is often most flattering.
- Photograph from various angles, leaving the viewers confident they are getting a true impression of your car and its condition.
- Remember to include lots of details, especially of the inside of the car, including the size of the boot and additional storage functionality.
Once advertised, respond to any questions promptly and helpfully, to build confidence and rapport with potential viewers and buyers. Arrange viewings to take place in a safe place and ideally with a friend or member of your family present. Answer any questions your buyer may have and always expect to give them time and space to inspect the car on their own (while you keep hold of the keys for security).
Sold! Congratulations – you’ve hopefully now sold your car for the best price possible. Take full payment before handing over your keys and documents and remember to update the DVLA that you have sold your car.